Blog - August 30, 2022
Travelling Abroad For Work? Here’s What You Need To Know About Equipment Cover
1649, 1649, erik-odiin-jbQvJx2EWnU-unsplash (1), erik-odiin-jbQvJx2EWnU-unsplash-1.jpg, 3389410,,, , 4, , , erik-odiin-jbqvjx2ewnu-unsplash-1, inherit, 1317, 2023-08-17 14:38:20, 2023-08-17 14:38:20, 0, image/jpeg, image, jpeg,, 4091, 2728, Array

As we finally move out of a COVID-afflicted world, travelling abroad for work is becoming commonplace again, whether it’s for a face-to-face meeting, or to carry out a shoot on location.

But even the simplest of jobs can affect your commercial insurance. So in this blog, we’ve explained how to make sure your equipment is protected throughout your trip.


What equipment can be insured?

Portable equipment that’s taken out of the office is usually insured both at the premises, and while out and about.

By its nature, the type of property would be designed for use away from the office, such as laptops, cameras, lighting, videography products, toolkits and exhibition equipment.


Where is my equipment covered?

This often varies. Portable equipment can typically be covered anywhere in the UK, anywhere in the EU, or on a fully worldwide basis. This insures the property within that geographical scope, and typically, the wider the scope, the more expensive the insurance.

The property is usually covered on a 24/7 basis, including when being taken out, when stored, and during transit. However, there can be stipulations regarding these – we touch on some of them below.


What conditions should I be aware of?

Policies depend on the insurer, and the small print can trip you up if you aren’t careful. A few key clauses to check when taking your equipment overseas include:

– When property is stored in unattended motor vehicles it may need to be placed in a boot, out of sight, with all security features set. Additionally some policies might only cover equipment in a vehicle between certain hours. These clauses usually apply overseas in the same way they would in the UK.

– Care/custody conditions are normally applied either automatically within the wording, or added onto the schedule. You’re also obligated to take reasonable care, so theft of a laptop that was left in a café would almost certainly be rejected by insurers. Equipment needs to remain with you, or with someone entrusted to look after it – it can’t be left anywhere unsecure or in public. Again, these clauses would apply overseas in the same way as within the UK.

– Storage of equipment is also important when overseas, particularly with travel involving hotel stays. Check the policy, as some might state you should leave equipment within a locked hotel safe where available, and at the very least there’ll be a requirement to securely lock the premises.


Is my equipment covered when being transported via air or sea?

This is more difficult, and another important area to check in your policy wording, or with your broker or insurer. Most insurers won’t automatically cover equipment if it’s stowed in the aircraft hold, meaning it’s transported at the owner’s risk. This can be particularly problematic if you’re on a flight with limited luggage space, and the cabin crew instructs you to put your equipment in the hold.

Some insurers will cover this risk, or agree to extend the policy to give full cover for loss or damage to portable equipment transported in the hold of an aircraft or watercraft.


My equipment is covered within the UK only, can this be extended?

If the geographical scope of your work changes, even at the last minute, it’s important to consider your insurance protection. Get into the habit of doing this when making your initial travel arrangements. Contact your broker or insurer and check if the cover needs extending. If it does, ask them to make the necessary amendments. Consider the following example:

Imagine you’re a freelance location photographer who receives a last-minute request to travel to Italy for a location shoot. Your equipment is currently insured on a UK-wide basis, so you speak with your broker, and they extend your cover to an EU basis immediately. Now you can accept the job, happy in the knowledge your kit is protected.

We see examples like this all the time, and the good news is, it can be sorted quickly and easily by contacting your broker or insurer right away.


Need further information from RiskBox?

As we’ve said previously, every insurance policy varies, it all depends on your requirements. To find a cover that’s right for you, speak to RiskBox today.


You can call us on 0161 533 0411, email, or fill in our online form and we’ll get back to you.



Photo by Erik Odiin on Unsplash

Latest blog posts

Read more
Contact Us

Have your own insurance challenge?

Get in touch with the RiskBox team for a solution.
You can reach us on 0161 533 0411 or
Alternatively, click the button below and fill in our contact form.
Chat with us